LU CLAN RECURTING FOR THE SOON TO BE COMING EMPIER TO THIS GAME

Terheyt
GMSC Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12
1
Suddenly, out of the ceiling falls a slight girl with a cloud of long hair. Her butt smacks the floor with a sudden thump, and a very distinct, clear, quiet, "Ow." is heard as her book skitters across the floor.

Looking up and around her, she sighs. "Oh, it's you lot again. I guess that explains why the big guy in the red suit stuffed me in that bag." She hoists herself off the floor, and makes a beeline behind the bar. As she rummages under the countertop, the sudden burst of expletives comes as a bit of a shock.

"Who the *^*&-ing *#$! got into the good stuff? " A brief pause...

"FINJI!!!!!!!!!"

-terheyt

P.S. If you don't understand the title, don't worry, it's an in-joke.
P.P.S. There is no actual recruiting or recurting going on here.
P.P.P.S. Yes, we're insane. Move along.

Comments

  • whackapple
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 1
    505
    A group of people playing cards sit around a table at the other end of the room. They survey the scene with mixed reactions. One of them silently pushes his cards to the center of the table, nods to the others at the table, and rises. The man is wearing a dark striped shirt, suspenders, a bowler hat, and a curious utility belt bearing raindeer insignia. He strolls to the bar and fills a large mug with water, takes a sip, and goes to greet the newcomers. He greets Finji by throwing the water in his face, adding simply "For the smell."

    "Well it's about time!" exclaims the man, pulling a flask from his belt. "Na zdravie!"
  • TheWizard
    Developer
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 343
    508
    Some sort of misty, foggy, smokey whatnot coalesces in the corner, and a robed man steps out, looking haggard but with a glint in his eye. He surveys the scene, thoughtfully tugs on his beard and gives a bit of a grin.

    "Boom..." he says softly, but not really to himself.
  • Terheyt
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 12
    509
    Terheyt turns from her regular berating of Finji, memorized and only half-conscious it has been repeated so often, and turns to greet the newcomer, directing one last kick at Finji's shins.

    "WIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have known you were behind all this."

    After all the greetings for the newcomer are out of the way, she makes sure the bearded one is comfortably seated, a large mug of The Good Stuff in his hand, before leaning in conspiratorily. "You did warn them we were coming, right? Or were you planning on denying responsibility for the mess we're about to make?"
  • Darggie
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 24
    522
    A very non-conspicuous man walks in, dressed in basic travelers garb with a mottled grey cloak about his shoulders. Few noticed him immediately, and makes his way toward the bar. Then he glaces about, a smile on his face. He runs a hand through his short black hair, and pulls a deck of cards out some hidden pocket in his cloak.

    "So, who wants to hear the latest news? Also, someone please tell me you guys saved a glass of the good stuff," Says Darggie, as he takes a seat at the bar.
  • TheWizard
    Developer
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 343
    629
    The robed one sits at the bar and gratefully accepts The Good Stuff. With the first sip, his brows raise.

    "Ah, yes! I remember this."

    "Of course you do." Terheyt knew a quick taste would bring back the memory.

    TheWizard turns from the bar and beckons everyone over as he sits at a great roughhewn table in the center of the establishment.

    "Now friends, let's gather-- even you Mr Messy-Head-of-Hair. If our patron would be so good as to fill up the rest of the mugs, we have plotting and machinations-ing. Crier, would you mind gathering everyone to the table so we can get started? We've suddenly found ourselves on a slice of reality that needs some explaining..."

  • Soxrobin
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Jan 2014
    Posts: 3
    711
    At that moment, a slight breeze swirled through the room, carrying on it a delicious scent. Cake, maybe? Pastries? Suddenly, a plain, unassuming girl in an apron appeared with a baking sheet in one hand, a spatula in the other, and a very startled expression on her face. She looked around the room, slowly taking in the familiar faces. Then, with her expression turning to a somewhat confused smile, she held out the baking sheet to those gathered at the table.

    "Cookies, anyone?"

    -Sox
  • Terheyt
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 12
    714
    Once all glasses are filled, and the hubub dies down, the girl with the long hair steps in front of the fireplace, raises her glass, and waits for their attention.

    "Before you begin, Wiz, I've got something to say. I made the last toast..."

    ***

    Eyes grow misty as the memory surfaces. Different place, different world, even some different faces, but so achingly similar. Glasses filled with the good stuff, the fireplace waiting for the last barrage of empties, and the same voice ringing out.

    "May our feet take us places we're longing to see,
    Down paths unmapped and unpaven.
    May our hearts lead us back where we're longing to be,
    With stories to share, in our Haven."

    ***

    "I made the last toast, so I get to make the first, and here it is:

    "Welcome home!"

    Her glass is only the first to christen the new fireplace.

    Ter
  • Serendi2
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 11
    716
    A woman with leathers that've clearly been worn by someone who has died A LOT (ahem) lifts her ale and says quietly... "Sláinte." She looks on, sipping from time to time, smiling slightly.
  • TheWizard
    Developer
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 343
    754
    The seeming-wizard nods at the woman, not in the least bit put off by the worn look of her outfit or the obvious string of deaths in her past and leans over to sample Soxrobin's sheet of baked yum. Crunching on his much-missed treat, he rises, walks over to the window and peers out as two ships scream by silently (<-- not a typo).

    He drains his glass and gives it the traditional toss into the fireplace, noting with satisfaction that the bot he brought Ter nabs the few bits of glass that happen to escape the actual hearth and hurries them off to the trash bin.

    "So... you all have no doubt seen the reports. I'm just getting tidbits, but the speculation about what the GMSC is up to is reaching a fever pitch. There are evidently multiple missions with different objectives, and I need to sort through what's what."

    They all look at him, understanding some but not all.

    "I assume whatever I share goes no further? Until we need to take action, that is..."
  • obi1mccarthy
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Jan 2014
    Posts: 1
    778
    In walked a man looking a little disorientated and confused.

    "Hey, this seems really familiar. It's different, but I feel like I've been here before or somewhere eerily similar."
  • Terheyt
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 12
    785
    Ter, clearly delighted, is the next to interrupt Wiz as she runs to give the new arrival a big hug.

    "Obi! You're here too? It really is old home week!" She presses a mug of The Good Stuff into his hand. "This will help jog your memory, I hope."
  • TheWizard
    Developer
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 343
    804
    "I should hope it would." It's evident that despite the welcome reunion, the bearded man is agitated.

    "We have much to discuss before it's too late. Even a precious, safe haven like this establishment is in danger if what we believe the powers-that-be are up to come to pass." He produces a tiny device that seems to dance in his hand.

    "I assume you all have looked into a Reporter before, yes?"
  • Darggie
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 24
    812
    Darggie glaces around at the familier faces, and tries to get a read on the new, when a voice calls out in his direction.

    "Crier, would you mind gathering everyone to the table so we can get started? We've suddenly found ourselves on a slice of reality that needs some explaining..." The Wizard calls out.

    Glancing around and realizing that he actually has to do something, Darg rubs the back of his neck, clears off a table for Wiz and tries to direct people over that way, when the most amazing aroma of cookies permeates the air.

    "Cookies, anyone?" Calls Sox.

    Darg smiles and snags a cookie while he has the chance, and quiets down as Terheyt raises her glass to make a toast before Wiz makes his announcements.
    "... Welcome Home" Terheyt finishes, before throwing her glass into the fireplace.

    "Haven," Darggie says, "The starting point of what looks to be a grand adventure, and also the destination, where the stories are shared and retold." Then he too, drains the last of his drink and lobs it into the fireplace as well.

    Once The Wizard has begun speaking, he looks questioningly at the room before asking "I assume whatever I share goes no further? Until we need to take action, that is..."

    Darg knows then, that there is much more involved then he though, and pulls out a small notebook, which is clearly already full of notes and drawings.

    You can never trust a computer to keep a secret," Darggie mutters under his breath, knowing the notebook will look very out of place in a place dominated by new age technology.

    Darg nods towards Obi as he walks in, but is clearly focused on comparing notes he has written down to things Wizard is speaking of. Crossing out whole pages at times, while flipping back and forth underlining and circling others.

    Wizard pulls out an object, sounding agitated at all the interruptions "I assume you all have looked into a Reporter before, yes?"

    Darggie nods, slips his notebook back in a pocket, and moves a little closer to see what the Reporter is showing.




  • TheWizard
    Developer
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 343
    890
    TheWizard acknowledges Darggie with a fond look before turning his attention back to the device in his hand.

    "I see. Given the shifting nature of reality lately, I suppose I'm not surprised that this is the first Reporter you've seen." He raises the device above his head then steps away. The device stays in the air where the wizard left it.

    Each eye that was focused on the Reporter (even Finjinimo's own bleary ones) locks into a flood of information that pours from the device into their minds. It's as if memories are being installed into each one of them. Imagery of current news items involving the speculation about what this "Morning Star" event is comes first, then emotion and visuals from protests, then a flood of conspiracy theories. When the Reporter goes dim and returns to TheWizard's hand, he pockets it and addresses them again.

    "My purpose with that Report was not to show you the truth, but to show you the impact that this great secret is having on the rest of the world. A series of events were unleashed when we all saw the President mouth the words "Morning Star" after an aide whispered in his ear. It's been played over and over. The question for all of us is-- which events are related and what is the government-- and whoever is in league with them-- doing in response to this event?"

    TheWizard is visibly agitated.

    "Three things stand out to me-- the threefold increase in near-space launches of all kinds of ships, the increasing lack of transparency on defense spending across multiple governments, and the sequestering of most of the leading experts on atypical forms of communication. This crew is known for ferreting out the Truth. Which one should we attack first?"

    He grabs a cookie to munch on while waiting for an answer and motions to Terheyt for another round-- something she already knew was coming.
  • Darggie
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 24
    898
    As Darggie is processing all the new information, he hears Finji from the side comment. "I know kung-fu."
    Darggie looks over at him, completely straight faced and says, "show me."

    "Three things eh? Three avenues to travel down." mummers Darggie, walking from the group to quietly reflect out a window.

    Anyone near him can hear him quickly whispering to himself things like, "Near-space launches? That's at most only 100km from the surface. So they aren't going anywhere but around the earth at the moment..." "They must be expecting something coming here, or there would be more then "Near-space" "Bah, that could be mean anything..."
    "Completely visual increase in government defense? Clearly shows signs of preparation for something. Multiple governments? Clearly not preparing to go to war against each other. No help here..."
    "Take all the leading experts on communication? Clearly shows that we are trying to develop a new form of communication. Whether because of something communicating with us, us trying to communicate with something else, or improved long distance stellar communication, it is hard to know."
    (This was written in a hard to read fashion, because it is hard to hear or understand what Darggie is muttering quietly.)

    Darggie pulls out his notebook, flips to one of the last pages and stares at his notes. Anyone close can see a sketch of the President, with a dialog bubble reading Morning Star" from where the president mouthed it. He places his finger on the paper and starts connecting notes with invisible lines.

    "Communication" Darggie speaks up, "I think this would be our best place to start. No one can find out anything about what is going on right? So obviously they have already developed some form of new or different communication. If we can get a hold of some new communication machinery, or figure out what type of signal or frequency it transmits on. They we can listen and learn about everything else they are hiding. I think Communication is our road to Rome."


    Darggie looks around, listening for other theories and plans.
  • Terheyt
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Posts: 12
    913
    Terheyt is uncharacteristicly silent as she busies herself replacing glasses that now lie shattered, much as the joyful mood has been. She weighs what everyone has said, passing around everyone's unspoken order as if by rote, and then prepares a special surprise for her favourite lush.

    Finji can't believe his bleary eyes, that someone would offer him more alcohol, but always impulsive and never one to examine his blessings, he quickly downs the drink that appears in front of him. The surrounding crowd starts to understand as a bucket makes an appearance, and the emetic (super-saturated salt water, disguised in a martini glass with a couple olives for camouflage) does its work. With practised ease, Ter manages Finji's head over the pail so not a drop misses, then whips something out of her back pocket and gets it in his mouth before he can protest. She buckles the ball-gag behind his head, and locks it on. It fits so well, it seems tailor made for him. Knowing their history, it probably was.

    Finally satisfied she won't be interrupted, she begins. "You're wrong on two more counts, Darggie, and I think you're forgetting something, Drak. These are communication experts. If they wanted to, you know, communicate what they were up to, they would have found a way to do it. We wouldn't just need to find them, we'd need to convince them to talk. That seems like the hardest of the 3 paths"

    "As far as defence spending goes, you could both be right. Either the governments are working together on something big, or they're ramping up to face off, and no one wants to be caught under-prepared. We need to know more about what they're spending on before we'll be able to get a handle on why."

    She tousles Finji's hair casually. "Our 'Rocket Scientist' notwithstanding, the secrets of the ships are probably the easiest of these nuts to crack, and here's where you're the most wrong, Darggie. You're thinking of travelling on Earth where distance matters. But low Earth orbit is halfway to anywhere in the solar system, in terms of energy output. And the easiest way to get something really big into space is send it up in lots of little pieces. But the best part is that while defence budgets and secret scientist slumber parties are hard to spy on, for near-earth orbits, all we really need is some good telescopes. There isn't that much to hide behind up there. I'd say we should start looking up. Has anyone seen our friendly eye-in-the-sky Eachan, lately?"

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    OOC: Sorry to be so late, but something big's been eating my writing time lately. Details as soon as contracts are signed.

    ter
  • Kjelfalconer
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Posts: 3
    1164
    "Oh, thank Sky for that, I finally found you all!" yelled Kjel, pushing through the door. "Sorry it took me so long, it's pretty disorientating not being a bird anymore. Had to work out how to make some wings. And how science works here. Turns out you can pretty much cobble together anything from anything." He sat down, pulling off what appeared to be a pair of mechanical wings, made by Macgyver on crack. "So, what did I miss?"

    ((Gods I'm late. I'm sure I meant to drop by here sooner ^^;)
  • Finjinimo
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Aug 2014
    Posts: 3
    3186
    Aw... All my hilariously witty, emotive and incredibly well written posts... gone, GONE!

    *shakes fists at wiz*
  • TheWizard
    Developer
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Posts: 343
    3191
    Sorry Finji-- here's the good news: we're upgrading these forums into a grand future, where all your diatribes, wit and whatnot will be preserved forever and ever. Stay tuned for details-- your fist shaking won't be for naught.
  • Gr33nEggsNSpam
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Dec 2014
    Posts: 21
    3372
    As The Crossworld collapsed and faded around him, SirSchmoopy felt himself slipping into a element without physical being. Amongst the stars, he felt infinite and empty simultaneously. All that he had known was now a bittersweet memory, no longer within contact. Schmoopy traveled beyond in search of the life and friends he knew. Aimlessly, he passed for years...or decades...or eons. Not even he knew, as time seemed not to matter in this state.

    He forgot time. He forgot names. He forgot sense.

    And so passed he that was once Schmoopy

    There was a sudden jolt in his soul. Inaudible echoes. "What is that? I once knew that. Sound...yes, it's sound." The endless reach of the universes drew in close, and light appeared around a corner. The being moved toward it, starting to feel pressure somewhere beneath him. A path! Closer and closer, the light 'round the corner drew, as the sounds turned into a raucous & jovial laughter, piercing his ears. And a chill shot down his spine, as the cold rains begin to fall. Oh, the exuberance he now felt.

    Turning the corner, he could now see a single lit building in the distance, with the warm glow inviting him in. Stepping in the door, the party inside lulled as they looked at this drenched creature. They all felt as he did: as though they once knew each other, but memory and time had left a irreparable scar. The robed man at the table had brought him here for purposes unknown. But at this moment it did not matter.

    They asked him his name. He tried, but could not remember. Aware of the awkward silence his entry and own muteness had created, he simply uttered, "Call me...Green."

    Another sound came forth, this time from the pit of his stomach. *URGH* A slim woman with long hair gleamed from across the room. "I have just the Stuff to fix that."

    ((Congratulations, TW & Industrial, on the soft launch. It's been a long journey to this day and a well-deserved round of the Good Stuff is in order. For you Continuum players, I still respond to Schmoopy. I just stopped using that handle back in 2010.))
  • Boomvang
    GMSC Recruit
    Join Date: Jan 2014
    Posts: 3
    3490
    Some men's futures are predestined. No matter what world I'm in or which of my reincarnations I'm living at the moment....a warrior will always be a warrior. Such is my existence.
    Just wanting a drink to wash the Cassiapian Plain dust out of my throat, I stop at an unassuming little place with small talk and laughter emanating from it. I try to slip in the door unnoticed.....
Sign In or Register to comment.