Speed Run Crystals

Gr33nEggsNSpam
GMSC Recruit
Ran a few speed runs on Late to the Party after I noticed the randomization of crystal spawns. Two things of note, though only one is a bug:

(1) Crystals usually give 5-seconds back now, except in the case that a checkpoint stops the clock. After Check 1 in Late to the Party (maybe others, but I didn't test yet,) the clock stops while en route to the next section of the map.

There is a 50% chance of a crystal showing up at the end of this hill. If obtained during the checkpoint menu or immediately afterwards while the clock isn't running, there is no time reductions, though the message still appears at the top of the screen.

(2) While we are discussing the spawns of crystals specifically on Late to the Party, there will always be two of the four spawns chosen from what I gathered. The earliest needs to be changed because of its placement. The first time I saw it, I figured it to just be a purple plant because it was such a brief look. But after there was only one other crystal pickup in the map, I tried to get it to spawn again. I did, with two different occurrences, both of which are worth noting.
—(a) The visual window of this thing is while Charlie is moving up the hill, giving the player about 1 second to see it and shoot it. I managed it this time.
—(b) Once again, I quickly saw the crystal, but missed the window. Even though I knew the general placement of where it was sitting behind the architecture, I couldn't shoot through the column to hit it (which makes sense, obviously.)
Bottom line, that spawn needs to be relocated elsewhere, such as further to the right, behind the enemy cover or later in the map.

There may be other maps with extremely difficult spawn points, but here again, I didn't have time to take a look yet.

Comments

• Zicom
    Developer
    edited Feb 2015
    So, for 1) The clock doesn't actually stop during checkpoints. What might be happening is that you get the time reduction and then go through the checkpoint with roughly the same time elapsed.

For 2) I'll bring it up with the level designer for that section.
  • Gr33nEggsNSpam
    GMSC Recruit
    I thought that might be the case for (1) as well, Zicom. But I also collected the crystal a separate time just after continuing to 2nd wave while the clock wasn't moving and the time stayed at 47 seconds. I'll try to recreate it again and see if it carries to other levels or just the one.
  • Zicom
    Developer
    Hey, verified that you're right about the reduction not occurring on stopped clocks. I'll get this reported and fixed. Thanks for finding+reporting!
  • Boffalo
    Developer
    Ah, great catch Gr33nEggsNSpam!

For technical reasons with the way our levels were set up, placing it further out was affecting the AI pathfinding for a combat setup in that same location but in the level Uncertain Morning. This is because they shared many of the same files, since they take place in the same general part of our game's world. To fix it, I pushed it a little too far out of the way, which had the unintended side effect of giving the player a very short time window to shoot it.

We had since split those two levels into separate files because it was causing many other conflicting issues similar to this one. That fix would have allowed me to place it further out, without affecting AI in the other level, but it was one of those small things that just slipped through the cracks. Thank you! I've just fixed it. In our 1.1 update (not this coming update, but the one after it) you will be able to see and shoot it while standing still in place underneath the arch structure after the first player-movement.
  • Gr33nEggsNSpam
    GMSC Recruit
    And this is why I couldn't wait to get in on this team's games and future developments. Fantastic work, guys! I look forward to the update.